When traveling to St John USVI, one of the most important things to consider is your safety and security while getting around the island. Taxis are a convenient way to explore all that St John has to offer, but it is important to be aware of the potential risks and take the necessary precautions. Here are some tips for ensuring your safety and security when taking taxis in St John USVI:
- Research before you go: Look for reputable taxi companies online and read reviews from other travelers to get an idea of which companies have a good reputation for safety and security. You can also ask for recommendations from your hotel or tour operator.
- Look for licensed and insured taxis: Make sure the taxi company you choose is licensed and insured to ensure your safety. You can ask to see the driver’s ID and the vehicle’s registration papers to make sure everything is in order.
- Negotiate the fare in advance: Before you start your trip, ask the driver for the estimated fare, so you have an idea of what to expect. You can also negotiate a flat rate for your trip with the driver before you start.
- Travel with a companion: It is always safer to travel with at least one other person, so try to avoid taking taxis alone.
- Trust your instincts: If something doesn’t feel right, don’t hesitate to leave the taxi and find another one.
- Be aware of your surroundings: Be aware of your surroundings and keep an eye out for anything suspicious. Take note of the driver’s name and taxi plate number, and make sure to share the details with a friend or family member.
- Avoid sharing personal information: Do not share your personal information or details of your itinerary with the driver.
By following these tips, you can ensure that you have a safe and secure experience when taking taxis in St John USVI. Remember to research before you go, look for licensed and insured taxis, negotiate the fare in advance, travel with a companion, trust your instincts, be aware of your surroundings, and avoid sharing personal information.
Additionally, you could also make sure to ask your hotel or resort for a list of reliable taxi companies or look for transportation companies that have been serving the island for a long time, which is a good indicator of reliability.
It is also important to note that you should always have a way of communicating with someone like a cell phone or a radio in case of any emergency. By being vigilant and taking the necessary precautions, you can enjoy the island worry-free and explore all that St John USVI has to offer.